- Mayor makes first station to station journey from Custom House to Canary Wharf and views completed permanent track in east London
- 75 per cent of the project has now been delivered, and half of the permanent track on the line has now been laid
- Crossrail project is being delivered on time and on budget
- Sadiq Khan says the opening of the Elizabeth line will be a landmark moment for London.
The Mayor of London visited the Crossrail project at Custom House today to mark the construction programme reaching the 75 per cent complete milestone.
He boarded a construction train to make the first station-to-station journey from the new Elizabeth line station at Custom House to Canary Wharf and met a number of engineers and apprentices working on Europe’s largest infrastructure project.
Half of the permanent track on the line has now been laid, and nearly all of the platform structures, which will give step-free access to the 200m long trains at all of the 10 new stations, have also been built.
Sadiq Khan, Mayor of London said: “The opening of The Elizabeth line will be a landmark moment for London. It will help us deliver a modern, truly world-class transport system that allows us to deal with the growth in London’s population over the coming decades.
“Half the permanent track has now been completed, and being able to travel the Elizabeth line route from Custom House to Canary Wharf shows the huge progress that has been made. I visited the Canary Wharf station site as Transport Minister in 2010 when construction had just got underway. The fact that the project is now 75 per cent complete, and being delivered on time and within budget is testament to the hard work of the thousands of men and women who have worked on the project.
“It is vital for the future prosperity of our city that progress continues apace and we deliver this wonderful project on time. With brand new trains and all the stations being step-free, the opening of the Elizabeth line will improve the quality of life for millions of people across London and the south east, and provide a huge boost to our economy.”
Gallery - Mayor makes first station to station journey on Elizabeth line
Andrew Wolstenholme, Crossrail Chief Executive said: “The Crossrail programme has now reached 75 per cent complete. The remaining 25 per cent of the programme will present a new set of challenges as we finish installing the critical components that will transform this major infrastructure project into an operating railway. The Elizabeth line will be vital to the future success of the capital and we’re fully focused on completing the delivery safely, on time and on budget, for our handover to TfL in 2018.”
Gallery - Crossrail project reaches 75 per cent complete
For further information contact the Crossrail Press Office on 020 3229 9552 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to editor
More than 200 million passengers are expected to use the Elizabeth line each year – increasing rail capacity in central London by 10 per cent and reducing congestion on the London Underground. An extra 1.5 million people will be within 45 minutes commuting distance of London’s key employment districts. The impact of the new railway will be substantial, providing reduced journey times, new business opportunities, economic growth and a better connected transport network for London and the South East.
Over the course of the next year, the railway and new stations will continue to take shape as the tunnels are furnished with over 15,000km of cable which will deliver power, lighting and communications systems through the tunnels. Over 4km of full height platform edge screens will be fitted at stations. This will help with the circulation of air and to maintain temperature levels along with huge vent fans that will be installed at 18 locations across the route.
Since the construction of the new railway began in 2009, over 15,000 men and women have worked on the project and over 100 million working hours have been completed. Over 600 apprentices have also been recruited on the Crossrail project.
The route will pass through 40 stations from Reading and Heathrow in the west, through new twin-bore 21km tunnels to Shenfield and Abbey Wood in the east. The Transport for London (TfL) run railway will be named the Elizabeth line when services through central London open in December 2018. The Crossrail project is being delivered by Crossrail Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of TfL, and is jointly sponsored by the Department for Transport and TfL.