The western section of the Elizabeth line route runs on the existing rail network from Paddington to Heathrow and Reading.
A number of major upgrades are being carried out by Network Rail on this section of the route in preparation for the arrival of Elizabeth line services from 2018. The Crossrail project will provide new trains, better stations and easier, more reliable journeys for passengers in west London, South Bucks and Berkshire.
Major improvements are being delivered to stations across the western section of the route, including:
- New, bright, spacious ticket halls at a number of stations in west London
- New lifts and footbridges where required to ensure step free access at every station
- Platform extensions to accommodate the 200m long Crossrail trains
- New signage, help points, customer information screens and CCTV.
Track and infrastructure upgrades
Major upgrades are being delivered to allow more trains to run more reliably once Crossrail services begin, including:
- A new flyover at Stockley to add capacity at the busy junction to Heathrow
- A new diveunder at Acton to remove a bottleneck to the west of Paddington
- The electrification of the railway in west London, South Bucks and Berkshire to pave the way for the introduction of quicker, greener, more reliable electric trains
- A new depot at Old Oak Common and sidings at Maidenhead.
The improvement works will at times affect journeys at weekends and over Bank Holidays. Passengers can check before they travel on the National Rail Enquiries website.
Train services over the Christmas and New Year periods
A major programme of work is being undertaken on the Great Western route over the Christmas and New Year periods. This link provides more details of the impact of these works on train services between 24 December and 2 January. In particular, please note that there will be no mainline services out of Paddington station between 24 December and 29 December. You are also advised to check before you travel on nationalrail.co.uk/Christmas.
The Elizabeth line service on the western section
Services between Heathrow and Paddington Main Line station will begin in May 2018 and the route will open in full in December 2019.