West Drayton station will benefit from major improvements in preparation for the new Elizabeth line services including a redeveloped main ticket office, improved ticket hall layout, new platform canopies, new lifts, platform extensions, new signage, help points, customer information screens and CCTV.
A new glass and steel extension will provide an additional entrance as well as a covered walkway between the existing building and a new footbridge. Three new lifts will provide step-free access to every platform.
COMPLETED IMPROVEMENT WORKS
In addition to the station works overhead electric wires have been installed by Network Rail on the line enabling new, electric trains to run through the station.
Extensive track and signalling work has also been undertaken to improve reliability and increase capacity.
ONGOING IMPROVEMENT WORKS
Network Rail's planned works will deliver the station upgrades at West Drayton by December 2020. Contracts were awarded in May 2019 and the station will remain open throughout the improvement works.
The works include:
- A new entrance canopy stretching across the existing building and the extension
- A new lift to provide step-free access between the subway and the new station extension
- Platform extensions so the station can accommodate the new 200m Elizabeth line trains
- New lighting in the station and on the platforms
- New signage, help points, customer information screens and CCTV
Some improvements will be in place by December 2019 when TfL Rail takes over the running of the majority of the services from Reading, Maidenhead and Heathrow into Paddington in readiness for Elizabeth line services.
West Drayton station will be step-free from platform to street by December 2020.
In addition to the station improvements, Crossrail has been working with Hillingdon Council on proposals for improvements to the area around the station.
The latest newsletters from Network Rail regarding progress on the western sections can be found here:
- Download West Stations Newsletter August 19
- Download West Stations Newsletter July 19
- Download Hillingdon stations major milestone timeline July 19
ELIZABETH LINE SERVICES FROM WEST DRAYTON
When the full route opens, up to six Elizabeth line services an hour will serve West Drayton station, allowing passengers to travel right through central London without having to change trains.
If you have queries about the work taking place please contact Network Rail, which is delivering the Crossrail upgrades:
- Call: 03457 11 41 41
- E-mail: email@example.com