Pudding Mill Lane is located on the River Lea. In geographical terms the River Lea holds a leading position in east London’s development. The river was a power source, a communication corridor and the focus of important industries.
Excavations at Pudding Mill Lane portal produced evidence for an earlier industry. We found several rows of timber posts with wattle frames in between them. These possibly represent the remains of fish weirs or revetments for a mill race. Radiocarbon dating tells us that the structures were established by the mid-15th century.
Water mills and fish weirs existed on the River Lea since medieval times and street names such as Pudding Mill Lane still reflect this. However, fish weirs had been a problem for other river users for centuries. Historic records of 1571 tell us that barge owners petitioned the City of London to allow removal of weirs from the river as their numbers were seriously impeding navigation.